It's been a little while (too long) since I last posted on the RuffleBlog. While I love sharing our journey, time just gets away from me. I relate it a bit to having kids. I remember the 1st day coming home from the hospital and grandmothers literally stopping me on my out to tell me to cherish every moment, time will fly by. While I appreciated the advice, I couldn't really wrap my mind around the reality. Not only were they so right in that advice, the same warp speed world has trickled over to RuffleButts too. I don't know where the time has gone, but my "baby" is about to turn 10 this year and I have no idea how that happened!
Anyhow, this last week has been a growing up kinda week. You know those weeks with your kiddos where they start Monday as a regular 5 year old, but grow so much in their experiences through the week that they just seem a little older by Friday. Ok, maybe that's just me...anyhow, it's been one of those weeks here at RuffleButts. Our customers have been AMAZING and our company is experiencing awesome growth. We are beyond grateful to the people that are making that possible. With that said, it required an upgrade to our website to make it possible to keep up. We are 100% committed to our customers and their experience shopping with our company, so we were determined to do whatever necessary to make that happen this week. You can watch the video to hear the full story...
So, since starting this blog in 2007 till today, I will continue to share my truth, my journey, and our RuffleButts story. I hope that in some crazy way, my words will benefit or touch your life in some positive way. That was my hope and reason for starting this in the 1st place. I am honored that you take the time to read my words and to follow our company. There is so much to say, but "thank you" says it all. ~Amber
We do this type of stuff fairly often around here, but once it's sent on it's way, we don't hear much about it. This time was different. We received the sweetest email from the organization and saw a link they posted to their own blog sharing the story. While we already had the simple joy of giving, their thank you made the experience beyond rewarding. Seeing a blind Haitian orphan jumping with joy in our ruffled creation..it just doesn't get much better than that!
So, I'm sharing our joy with you today. Watch the video, then count your blessings. It's also a great teachable-moment tool for your kiddos. My daughter talks about Angeline and this video almost weekly. It's pretty amazing that such a simple thing could bring someone else such a big smile, especially when our kiddos take these good fortunes for granted. When I started RuffleButts, my initial motto was "spreading ruffles and sharing smiles". While we don't use that so much today (while totally genuine, it sounds a little cheesy), it is still very much ingrained in who we are. And what a beautiful smile she has!
Three Angels Blog -- read here
I'm not sure when exactly it happens, but there is a day post-parenthood that you open your mouth and your mom comes out! The 1st time I noticed it, I giggled to myself and then realized my mom had a few great sayings that I have carried forward into my own parenting. I have compiled a list below, gathered from my mom and the moms of those close to me, in no particular order. Would love to hear your top mom-faves too!
- Treat others as you want them to treat you. (Not how they treat you, how you want them to treat you...my kids somehow get confused on this one often!)
- Sharing is caring.
- Always wear clean underwear (then my mom would elaborate with the "if you get hit by a bus and have to go the hospital, you want to have on clean underwear...I don't think I needed the explanation looking back!)
- It's less about words and more about actions.
- You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family.
- Don't judge a book by it's cover.
- Give more to your community than you take from it.
- Anything worth having is worth working for.
- Before making a decision, do the newspaper check...would you be proud to have your decision/action on the front page of tomorrow's newspaper.
- No matter who comes in and out of your life, always stay true to yourself.
- Things are much more enjoyable when you have earned them.
- Drink lots of water and use moisturizer daily.
- Put the seat down.
- Be a person that builds others up, not one that tears them down.
- Always tell your loved ones how much they mean to you, even when they drive you crazy.
- It's not what you say, but how you say it.
- Sit up straight.
- This too shall pass.
- Smile at people, it's a free gift that goes a very long way.
- Be kind & have courage (this was borrowed from Cinderella's mom)
- People who seem the least lovable, need the love the most.
- Always have your own money.
- Live life with gratitude.
- When you feel alone chat with God.
- Find the positive, it could always be worse.
Visit our Pinterest Board for more fun mom advice.