I'm not sure when exactly it happens, but there is a day post-parenthood that you open your mouth and your mom comes out! The 1st time I noticed it, I giggled to myself and then realized my mom had a few great sayings that I have carried forward into my own parenting. I have compiled a list below, gathered from my mom and the moms of those close to me, in no particular order. Would love to hear your top mom-faves too!
- Treat others as you want them to treat you. (Not how they treat you, how you want them to treat you...my kids somehow get confused on this one often!)
- Sharing is caring.
- Always wear clean underwear (then my mom would elaborate with the "if you get hit by a bus and have to go the hospital, you want to have on clean underwear...I don't think I needed the explanation looking back!)
- It's less about words and more about actions.
- You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family.
- Don't judge a book by it's cover.
- Give more to your community than you take from it.
- Anything worth having is worth working for.
- Before making a decision, do the newspaper check...would you be proud to have your decision/action on the front page of tomorrow's newspaper.
- No matter who comes in and out of your life, always stay true to yourself.
- Things are much more enjoyable when you have earned them.
- Drink lots of water and use moisturizer daily.
- Put the seat down.
- Be a person that builds others up, not one that tears them down.
- Always tell your loved ones how much they mean to you, even when they drive you crazy.
- It's not what you say, but how you say it.
- Sit up straight.
- This too shall pass.
- Smile at people, it's a free gift that goes a very long way.
- Be kind & have courage (this was borrowed from Cinderella's mom)
- People who seem the least lovable, need the love the most.
- Always have your own money.
- Live life with gratitude.
- When you feel alone chat with God.
- Find the positive, it could always be worse.
Visit our Pinterest Board for more fun mom advice.
Over the years, RuffleButts and RuggedButts have been spotted on the kiddos of celebrities including Jana Kramer, Jessica Simpson, Ali Landry, Rebecca Romijn, Giuliana Rancic and Jessica Alba, and we are truly honored each and every time! Today, when we spotted Rugged Butts on Apollo (the little cutie that calls Gwen Stefani mom) for the 2nd time this year, we were honestly a bit giddy. Gwen Stefani is just plain cool. We envy her effortlessly perfect looks and I personally dream of pulling off such style. She is an incredible designer, clearly a stellar businesswoman, a talented singer and performer, seems to be a genuinely kind person, and was one of my most memorable concerts of all time! So today, we are excited to share the most recent spotting of Apollo in our Buffalo Plaid Button Down.
It truly never gets old seeing adorable kiddos rock our designs, celebrity or not. Such an honor!
Image and article via Daily Mail.
Seeing that January 2014 date as the last published post was a moment that stung slightly, as I realized how thin I have been spread over recent years, but also a moment of triumph as a mom, wife and entrepreneur that I have survived and thrived. I am filled with such gratitude that my life is so full, but like many other women, it is a rare minute that I don't feel like I am dropping one ball or the other. Writing has always been something enjoyable to me, a way of paying it forward of sorts, sharing my experience, and selfishly a way to chronicle my journey. Unfortunately writing is one of the things that was sacrificed over the past 2 years as it easily fell below the priority of time with kiddos and time at RuffleButts. It is today that I make the conscious effort to move it back up a few notches on the list.
Oh where to begin? How about a plan? So, it is my plan, going forward from today, to share all parts of me. Or at least all parts that I think you may find of any benefit or interest. I will share 1 piece business journey, 1 piece beneficial business tools, 1 piece motherhood and 1 piece life lessons to pay forward. This has been the blog past in general, but I will do my best to share on a regular basis go-forward. If you have any other questions or requested information, please feel free to post questions and comments here and I will do my best to respond. As always, I am truly grateful for your interest and support along the way!